Importance of Drinking Water for Dairy Animals
Water is required for:
- Digestion of feed and fodder.
- Distribution of absorbed nutrients to various organs.
- Excretion of undesirable and toxic elements through urine.
- Maintenance of body temperature.
- Normally, an adult healthy animal requires 75 to 80 litres of water daily.
- Since milk contains about 85% water hence two and half litres water is required for every litre of milk produced.
Water is life
- Animal should have a free access to clean drinking water round the clock.
- During summer, crossbred cows and buffaloes should be given bath twice daily and at least 100 litres of water per day to manage heat.